Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Toby Gage Has Arrived!

I went into the hospital on September 1st at 5:30 a.m. It was a scheduled c-section. They started an iv right when I arrived and I laid in the hospital bed and watched the morning news until 7:45 a.m. The anesthesiologist came in and talked to me. He explained how the spinal block worked and what would happen if it didn't work. They said since I had a hard time the first time, if I felt pain during surgery this time they would just put me completely under. I was starting to panic! Caleb, Noah, my mom, dad, brother, and grandmother all came to the hospital and was out in the waiting room. The doctor came in around 7:45 and asked me if I was ready - umm, yeah! I've been ready :) Caleb and my mom suited up and they wheeled me into the OR. Caleb and mom had to wait until I had my spinal block and for the surgery to begin (to see if it is going to start out well) and then they got the ok to come in. Rewind a little: I was wheeled into the OR and it was a smallish room with all these tools, towels, gauze pads, ect all laid out on a table in the corner. I was freaking the hell out at this point. I got off the bed and walked around the operating table, sat up and took a deep breath. They had me open my gown in the back so they could start the spinal. I was absolutely terrified that it wasn't going to work like last time (had epidural last time). I had the best team ever in there - it was fantastic. They were all very kind and reassuring, which was what I needed! The sweet little nurse was in front of me holding my neck down while two dudes were poking into my back. After about 10 minutes I teared up and then started to cry. The anesthesia guy knew I was upset and kept telling me I was doing great and it wasn't taking longer than normal, they were just taking their time to make sure they were getting it right. I dried my eyes and all of a sudden I felt this rush go down my body, from below my boobs all the way to my toes. It was the weirdest, coolest feeling ever. They had me lay back pretty quickly but I fell back because I couldn't control anything from my chest down. LOL. It made me laugh. Then I seen then raise my hospital gown to start prepping me and all I could think about was me being completely naked in front of all these people - so I reached down and pushed my hospital gown back over me. They pulled my gown back up - then I pushed it right back down. The anesthesia guy finally said, in the most sweetest calm voice ever, "ok now, I have to tie your arms down...because I don't think the dr needs your help". haha, ok so I was restrained. Then the dr started doing his thing and I could smell my skin burning. I'd much rather smell it than feel it like last time! Then Caleb and mom got to come in there and I was so thankful. They were my sanity. About 20 minutes into it I heard Caleb say "babe, they just broke your water!". Then I heard a female voice say "ok, you're going to feel lots of pressure because I'm having to push the baby down"...I did feel pressure, but no pain! Then I looked up over the tall curtain and the doctor was holding my precious baby boy up over it!! All I could do was cry and thank God!! Toby Gage Fleming came into the world on September 1st  at 8:47 a.m. and weighed 6lbs 13oz, 19 1/4 inches long. He barely even cried and sounded like a tiny kitten. They got him swaddled up and Caleb carried him to the nursery. Mom had walked out with him because they won't allow anyone to stay in there while I'm being sewn up. Not sure why. As I was being sewn up I heard the dr ask someone about blood loss - then I thought I was seeing stars and was fixing to pass out. I just knew I was bleeding to death. (I'm negative nelly). So I hollered out "what's my blood loss?"  Dr told me 200 -and of course that meant nothing to me. So I asked him if that was a bad thing and he said that it was actually a very very good thing because most c-section patients lose 500-600 during surgery. Yay, I wasn't seeing stars after all! I was alive and well and my baby was doing awesome! I felt no pain in recovery, the nurses put the compression things on my legs to prevent blood clots, and I recieved pain meds every 4-6 hrs. Yay! It was absolutely one of the best experiences of my life. I came home two days later feeling like my old self. I'm so thankful.

Noah was so happy to finally meet his baby brother. My mom took a picture of Noah right when he first laid eyes on his brother and it's a moment to remember! Priceless. I am very much in love with my family and I thnak God every single day for blessing me as much as He has. I do have post partum pre-eclampsia, which the dr said would straighten out on its own. Other than that, we're doing wonderful!

No comments: